What Is Acute Dissociative Disorder?
Dissociation” means to be disconnected from self-identity, from relative and reality.
Dissociation is the mechanism that allows our mind to separate specific memories from conscious awareness.
Dissociative disorders are described as the disturbance in the ordinarily organized functions of conscious awareness, Memory, and identity.
Must read: All About Personality Disorder
Table of Contents
Types of dissociative disorder
- Most often, dissociative amnesia follows a traumatic or stressful life situation.
- The inability to recall important personal information, particularly concerning stressful life events.
- The extent of the disturbance is too great to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness. The amnesia may be localized, generalized, selective, or continuing in nature.
Read: Stress And Adaptation
- Psychogenic fugue is a sudden, unexpected journey away from home or workplace, assuming a new identity and an inability to recall the past.
- The onset is sudden, often in the presence of severe stress.
- The course is typically a few hours to days and sometimes a month.
Dissociative Identify Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder)
- In this disorder, the person is dominated by two or more personalities, of which only one is manifest at a time.
- Usually, one character is not aware of the expression of another personality characteristic.
- Each character has a full range of higher mental functions and performs complex behavior patterns.
- The transition from one to another name is sudden, and the behavior usually contrasts strikingly with the patient’s normal state.
Here is a complete guide on: Do I Have Bipolar Disorder? | Treatment For Bipolar Disorder
Trance and Possession Disorder
- This disorder is common in India. It is a temporary loss of both the sense of a person’s surroundings.
- When religious rituals induce the condition, the person may feel taken over by a deity or spirit.
- The focus of attention narrowed to a few aspects of the immediate environment, and there is often a limited but repeated set of movements, postures, and utterances.
Also see: Borderline Personality Disorder dsm 5
Causes of dissociative disorder
The dissociative disorder’s leading causes are painful such as unconscious feelings, emotions from an unacceptable situation, and intra emotion and thought conflict, which is unexpressed. It happens due to:
- Family conflict
- Death of a loved one
- Natural disaster
- Sexual or emotional abuse
I have already covered :
Need some recommendations? We have recommended an organic positive mood booster enriched with vitamin b complex, which will surely help you stay motivated. Find the product link below…
Premium DHH-B Supplement
Organic Ashwagandha & Herbs for Stress, Anxiety, Depression Relief, Sleep Aid
Signs and symptoms dissociative order
0.People with the dissociative disorder have the following signs and symptoms:
- loss of identity
- Loss of Sleep
- Suicidal behavior
- loss of Memory
- loss of consciousness
- Increased heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal discomfort
- Difficulty in a personal relationship
You might me help articles:
Treatment of dissociative disorder
List of technique for the treatment of Dissociative disorder are as following.
- Free association
- Abreaction therapy
- Supportive psychotherapy
- Behavior therapy
- Drug therapy
This disorder can take a long time to diagnose, and it can occur with other mental illnesses. Dissociative disorder can lead to anxiety, depression, guilt, and shame
Good treatment can improve people’s quality of life and reduce other mental problems.
Here are a few hand-picked guides for you to read next:
- What is Shyness? : Types, Causes, Treatment And Techniques
- Selective Mutism In Adults And Child: Definition, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
- Behavioral Therapy For Autism Spectrum Disorders
Still have any questions about dissociative disorder? Ask in the comments section!
Do share this post with others who wanted to learn about health solutions in depth.
Sharing is caring ❤