Antidepressants are medications that relieve anxiety, depression, seasonal affective disorder, acute and chronic depression.
Antidepressant drugs correct the chemical imbalance in the brain and reduce the severity of the symptom.
These are also called as mood elevators or homoleptic.
And now we see about Antidepressant drugs list, classifications, and side effects.
Table of Contents
Antidepressant drugs list
Antidepressant drugs classification
It is probably involved ib sleep, temperature regulation, thought, cognitive foundation, behavior, and mood.
Mechanism of action: Increasing the level of serotonin
Not applicable in case of:
- Heart rate decrease
- BP Increase
- Vasoconstriction of Blood vessels
- Urinary – Increase the tone of trigone of the bladder
- Intestine – relaxation
- Blood sugar increase
- It blocks the reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin at presynaptic neurons. It effects is shown after two to three weeks moods gets elevated and patients start the communicating, it is not euphoretic, awakening during nights also reduced by decreased the REM sleep
- It has a lower seizure threshold and produces convulsion in overdose.
- Concurrent use with alcohol or antihistamines can cause CNS depression.
- Concomitant use with monoamine oxidizes inhibitors can cause hypertensive crises.
Mechanism of action: It increases the catecholamine level in the brain. The primary mode of action is by blocking the reuptake of norepinephrine(NE) and or serotonin (5-HT) . At the nerve terminals, and thus increasing the NE and 5-HT levels at the receptor site.
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
Lastly, the MAO Is is responsible for the NE and 5-HT receptors increase at the receptor site by inhibiting MAO. And brain amine probably responsible for the antidepressant actions. It takes 5 to 10 days for MAOIs and 2to 3 weeks for TCAs to decrease depressive symptoms.
Antidepressant drugs side effects
- Dry mouth
- Dilated pupils and blurred vision
- Weight gain
- Cardiovascular disturbance
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Weight gain
- Decreased or increased libido.
- Urinary retention
For further reading:
Also, if you think we have missed important information in this post, then remind us in the comments below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Sharing is caring ❤