The subject has average body temperature and in that post-absorptive state after 12 hours after intake of the meal is known as basal metabolism.
In short, the calories burning capacity of your body is called basal metabolism.
There are three types of calories burn in your body.
Thermic effects of food:- 10% calories, which are burns indigestion.
Physical activity: 30% to 35% calories burn in daily activities like how much you move, how much you run, etc…
BMR: 65% to 75% calories burn in vital functions like Heart pumping, blood flowing through your veins, etc…
Table of Contents
Why need to know BMR
- BMR knowledge is used to help our body weight gain and weight loss. And also help to maintain body weight.
- In daily life, maximum calories burn by walking after fasting during going to sleep.
- If you want to maintain body fitness or weight, then you should take an equal number of calories that you are burning.
- If you want to weight loss, then you must take fewer calories than you burn.
- And if you want to gain weight and you should consume more calories than you burn.
I recommend you to read the post :Todd Pittman Weight loss | Ideal Weight loss
What is basal metabolic rate (BMR)?
The requirement of body energy for maintaining the average body temperature and carrying out involuntary work is known as the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).
At the minimum, the resting level of energy is required for the body’s vital functioning.
Involuntary body function includes heart and blood circulation, kidney, and excreta.
Determination of BMR
The test is conducted by measuring the amount of oxygen consumed and carbon dioxide exhaled in a predetermined time, usually 6-8 minutes. This test is done by using the apparatus of Benedict and Rath.
Basal metabolic rate example
Adult male 50 kg body weight
- Oxygen consumed in 6 minutes = 1.1 It.
- Heat that produces in 6 minutes= 4.8 x 1.1 = 5.28 kcal
- Heat that produced in 24 hours = 5.2 x 60 x 24 = 1,267 kcal
- The basal metabolism of the individual for 24 hours = 1,267 kcal
- Usually, the adult’s BMR is 1 kcal /kg body weight/hour for males and is 0.9 kcal/ kg body weight/hour for females.
The human body’s natural collagen production begins to decline by about 1-2% around the age of 25; that is why we recommend introducing ingestible collagen into your diet. Suggested collagen supplement is easily digested and soluble in hot or cold liquids. Add to food or beverages to give you the boost you need. BUY NOW 👇
Original Collagen Peptides Powder
Support healthy hair, nails, skin, and joints
Free From Dairy, Gluten, Cholesterol And Heavy Metals
To measure the BMR, the following points should be Kept in mind
- The test is conducted before breakfast 10-12 hours after the last meal, i.e., in a post.
- Absorptive state.
- The subject should be relaxed and lying down but awake because sleep reduces
- Basal metabolic activity increases this rate.
- The subject should free from stress and an average pulse rate.
- The surrounding temperature should be comfortable as perspiration and shivering may affect the rate of oxidation. The subject should have fever can increases the BMR by 7% for every Fahrenheit rise in temperature.
Factors affecting BMR
Body size– Heat is continuously lost through the skin. A tall and well-built person has an excellent body surface and skin than a shorter person, so more heat through the skin so BMR will be high.
Body composition– An athletic person has a well-built muscle and less body fat with higher BMR than more body fat.
Age– During periods of rapid growth, the BMR increases by 15-20 %. During pregnancy and lactation, it rapidly increases once again. The BMR gradually declines with age at the rate of 5% for each decade.
Sex– The BMR is 10% higher in males as compared to females.
State of health– BMR is low during starvation(having no food for an extended period) and malnutrition. In diseases like cancers, tuberculosis, and burns, BMR is high.
Climate:-BMR goes down when the weather is cold, and it may increase during the warm atmosphere.
Psychological conditions of BMR – Worry and Anxiety disorder increase BMR.
For a healthy life, physical fitness must be necessary to live a healthy life, so the number of calories needs to maintain.
Don’t forget to share this guide with your network on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn!
Sharing is caring ❤