In addition, this therapy is also used in personality development, controlling anger, relieving addiction to alcohol and alcohol.
Purposes of Behavior Therapy
- A permanent change in behavior by practice or experience
- Correction of the abnormal psycho-dynamics which are contributing to the illness
Behavioral Therapy For Autism Spectrum Disorders
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
It improves children with autism.
I also wrote a article on:
- Is Autism An Intellectual Disability?: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
- What is Infantile Autism?: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Verbal Behavior Therapy (VBT)
This type of therapy teaches non-vocal children how to communicate purposefully with other people. Children also learn how we use words functionally.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Cognitive Behavioral is usually recommended for children with milder symptoms of autism. Cognitive-behavioral therapy defines the triggers of particular behaviors.
I have already covered Cognitive Behavioral Therapy For ADHD Child in depth:
Table of Contents
The Major Assumption of Behavior Therapy
All behavior is learned. (Adaptive or maladaptive.)
Human beings are a passive organism that can be conditioned or shaped to do anything if correct responses are rewarded or reinforced.
Maladaptive behavior is replaced by adaptive behavior by particular positive and negative reinforcement.
Behavior assessment is focused more on the current behavior rather than n historical antecedents.
Treatment strategies are individually tailored. It is a short duration therapy. Therapists are easy to train but in experts in behavior therapy. And it is cost-effective. The total duration of therapy is 6-8 weeks. Initial sessions are given daily, but the later sessions are spaced out.
In behavior therapy, both the patient and therapist are equal participants.
Behavior Therapy's use
Technique use in Behavior Therapy
1. Systematic Desensitization
A complete relaxation state is provided to the patient to elicit anxiety.
It consists of three main steps:
- Relaxation training- Jacobson’s progressive muscle relaxation, Hypnosis, Meditation or yoga, Mental imagery
- Hierarchy construction Desensitization of the stimulus.
- Indication-phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder, certain sexual disorders
Directly expose the phobic stimulus to the patient in that escape is impossible. Use in specific phobia, stammering.
3. Aversion Therapy
In aversion therapy pleasant stimulus is becomes unpleasant in pairing with pleasant to the unpleasant stimulus, and by that, it is producing an unpleasant reaction in the body so the person will automatically stop that thing.
- Alcohol abuse
4. Increasing adaptive behavior
- Increasing adaptive behavior: generally rewarding event such as food, praise or gift,
- Negative reinforcement: adhere to a rigid schedule practice
- The token economy: given the token.
5. To teach new behavior
- Modeling: patient observes someone else (maybe the therapist) carrying out an action
- Shaping: components of a particular skill, the behavior is reinforced step by step.
- Chaining: the task is broken into a number of small steps. backward chaining,& forward chaining
6. Decreasing maladaptive behavior
- Extinction / ignoring: This includes activities like not looking at the patient, not talking to the patient,
- Punishment: The punishment should be administered following the undesirable behavior
- Timeout: removing the patient from the reward
- Restitution ( over-correction) : restoring the disturbed situation much better than what it was before.
- Response cost: When undesirable behavior occurs, an affixed number of tokens or points are deducted.
7. Assertiveness and social skill training
Given training to bring about change in emotional and other behavioral patterns by being assertive.& improve social manners like encouraging eye contact, speaking.
Following therapies can be a help to stabilize several mental health disorders must read next:
- Attitude therapy
- Is Psychotherapy Effective?
- Recreational Therapy: Symptoms, Cause, and Treatment
- Benefit of Group Therapy
Still have any questions about behavioral therapy? Ask in the comments section!
If you find the information in this post useful, please share it with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Sharing is caring ❤