Bronchitis is an inflammation of the trachea. The tubes that carry air from the trachea to the lungs are called bronchi. In this, the bronchi walls become unnecessarily weak due to infection and inflammation, due to which their shape becomes like a balloon.
I had earlier shared What Is Acute Respiratory Infection?: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment. I hope you read the post.
Due to this swelling, more mucus is produced than usual, as well as these walls are unable to push out the accumulated mucus.
Table of Contents
What is bronchitis?
Exposure to infection due to improper diet, lifestyle, or weak immunity leads to problems like bronchitis. It is an inflammatory disease occurring in the airways, in which all the three doshas become deformed and cause the disease. Bronchitis is called Bronchitis in Ayurveda, mainly due to the aggravation of Pitta dosha and Vata, and Kapha dosha is also imbalanced.
Must read: What Is Relation Between Anemia And Covid?
Types of bronchitis
To get started, you’ll need to know: How Long Does Common Cold Last?
Also see: Is A Dry Cough A Symptom Of Covid-19?
It is due to excessive smoking. Chronic bronchitis becomes a problem even after repeated occurrences of acute bronchitis. Chronic bronchitis is typically characterized by a persistent cough with sputum for most days of the month, three months a year, and two consecutive years.
How do you get bronchitis?
Bronchitis happens when bacteria, viruses, or irritant particles trigger on the bronchial tubes. Smoking is a significant risk factor, but nonsmokers can also develop bronchitis.
I also wrote a tutorial on How Do You Get Bacterial Meningitis?: Meningitis Precautions that you can follow.
- Genetic factor
- Long term exposure to air pollution and fumes from the environment.
- A history of respiratory disease
Symptoms of Bronchitis
Apart from cough, there are other symptoms when bronchitis occurs, but its symptoms also vary according to the type-
I also wrote a tutorial on Is sneezing a symptoms of covid 19 that you can follow.
Symptoms of acute Bronchitis-
I recommend you to read following posts that will help you: Constant Headache And Fatigue Every Day: How to cure?
Symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis-
- Coughing and mucus formation while coughing.
- Chronic bronchitis is accompanied by emphysema which becomes chronic obstructive respiratory infection (COPD: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
- In this, the patient’s condition worsens. He may have difficulty breathing and physical exhaustion. The patient may also have artificial oxygen; the cough lasts for three months and more. Injury to the airways can also lead to more chronic bronchitis.
- Exposure to insecticides and insecticides can also increase susceptibility to bronchitis.
Bronchitis after covid
You must read this article: What To Do If You Think You Have Coronavirus?
For the treatment, your doctor will suggest a bronchodilator inhaler, steroid inhaler. It will open the airway and reduce the inflammation of the bronchi.
You can check your CRP, ESR. If it is elevated, you have to continue with the medicines to reduce bronchitis.
When to See a Doctor?
Acute bronchitis gets cured on its own with proper home treatment and diet, but if cough, fever, body ache, nasal congestion persist for more than two weeks, should consult a doctor immediately. Apart from this, excessive mucus formation or bleeding while coughing and wheezing sound on breathing are chronic bronchitis symptoms.
Even if any of the symptoms are seen, should start treatment immediately after seeing a doctor. Otherwise, this condition can become severe and turn into Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
Your doctor may advise you with bronchitis to:
- Drink fluids
- Take over-the-counter Medications, such as ibuprofen.
I recommend you to read following posts that will help you: Azithromycin Covid: Is It Safe To Take Azithromycin For COVID?
Taking OTC medicine will help relieve a cough and any accompanying pain. In some time, acute bronchitis will go away, often without treatment.
The symptoms of chronic bronchitis resolve or improve for a while. They will come back worse again, especially if there is exposure to smoke and other triggers.
These options that may help include:
- Cough medicine
- Taking honey
- Anti-inflammatory and steroid drugs
Prevention Tips for Bronchitis
To avoid bronchitis, it is necessary to make changes in the diet.
- Use soap grains and polyunsaturated fats in food.
- Eat almonds and walnuts in nuts.
- Drink plenty of fluids, herbal teas, and soups.
- Eat raw onion; it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Eat all types of berries, spinach, and carrots in fruits. It is rich in anti-oxidants.
- Smoking is the main reason for this, so give it up completely.
- Do not consume caffeinated beverages.
- Avoid irritants present in the air.
- Do not consume milk and dairy products.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
Acute bronchitis is a prevalent condition. It can be uncomfortable, but it will resolve on its own within a few days.
If a person continues to smoke, they may develop worsening symptoms, emphysema, and COPD. Anyone who has concerns about the symptoms of bronchitis should see a doctor.
I tried to cover as much as I could for bronchitis, but if you still have a question in your mind, feel free to give us comment.
Do share this post with others who wanted to learn about health solutions in depth.
Sharing is caring ❤