Vulvitis is an inflammation of the soft skin on the outside of the female genitalia. This area is called the vulva. It is not a condition or a disease.
Instead, it is a symptom caused by several different causes, including allergies, infection, injury, and other irritants.
The warm conditions of the vagina make it sensitive to vulvitis. However, any woman can get vulvitis, especially if they have allergies, sensitivities, infections, or diseases that make them more vulnerable to vulvitis.
However, pre-pubertal girls and post-menopausal women have a higher risk of vulvitis because they have lower estrogen levels.
Table of Contents
Can hemorrhoids cause pain in the vulvar?
Causes of vulvitis
Causes of vulvitis:
- Infections: trichomonas, herpes simplex virus, molluscum contagiosum.
- Carcinoma and chronic dermatologic conditions like psoriasis or eczema.
- Irritants: urine, feces, vaginal discharge, close-fitting synthetic fabric, vaginal sprays, soaps, bubble bath, laundry detergents .
Symptoms of vulvitis
Symptoms are includes:
- Pruritus associated with candidal infection
- Reddened, edematous tissue and possible ulceration
- Pain, burning, dyspareunia
- lesions of HSV and HPV
- Exudate- possibly profuse and purulent, involving vaginitis
Hydrate and rejuvenate your intimate areas with Vmagic, an organic vulva cream and feminine care product that moisturizes, soothes, protects, and calms sensitive, tender skin for a positive return to pain-free intimacy.
Magic by Medicine Mama’s Apothecary
Organic Vulva Cream for Intimate Skin Care & Menopause Support
Relieves Feminine Dryness, Itching, Burning, Redness, Irritation
Vulvitis can occur for many reasons, and it can be testing to know the exact cause.
Pelvic examination to see medical history and cases of chronic diseases.
Diagnosis consists of checking for redness, blisters, or other signs of vulvitis.
Can check any vaginal discharge for infection. A diagnostic test may include screening for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and analyzing a urine sample.
It may also include blood tests and Pap tests. The Pap test involves a laboratory test of the cells of the cervix.
These tests can check for changes in cells associated with infection, inflammation, or cancer.
Its treatment varies depending on its cause. Can use some treatments to ease any discomfort.
Hydrocortisone can give the cream in small doses for a short period. Sometimes antifungal creams also prove to be very helpful. In addition, estrogen helps menopausal women fight their symptoms.
You can do treatments yourself, such as baths with warm boric acid, calamine lotion, and cooling agents.
Do not use lubricants that cause allergies while having sex. (Do not use any products that may be sensitive. Such as scented tampons or toilet tissue.
Keep the vagina clean, dry, and fresh. Thoroughly clean the area around the vagina during menstruation and after passing stool.
Cancer of Vulva
The most common carcinoma of the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris; may also originate as a urethral tumor.
- Post menopausal women (age around 65 years)
Signs and symptoms
- Lump or mass present for several months (first is white leukoplakia plaque or mild ulceration then becomes reddened, pigmented, ulcerated)
- Vulvar pruritus
- Discharge or bleeding
- Edema of tissue
- Pain or dyspareunia
- Lymphatic spread
- Wound infection
- Wound breakdown
- Leg cellulitis
- Introital stenosis
- History collection
- Physical examination
- Biopsy of lesions and lymph nodes
- It depends on the size and extent of the primary lesions and the risk of lymph node involvement.
Precancerous lesions and carcinoma in situ
- Simple vulvectomy
- Skinning vulvectomy
- Local excision or laser therapy
Fluorouracil cream 5%
- Removal of pelvic nodes
- Radical or modified radical vulvectomy with bilateral groin lymph node resection
- Radiation therapy
- Pelvic exenteration
here are a few more articles that you should check out:
- What is Uterine Abnormalities?: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (AUB): Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
If you want to read suitable post according to your health condition, Ask me to share relatable in the comment box below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!