Getting pregnant is like a blessing given by God. There are many ups and downs in a woman’s life during pregnancy. A mother can tolerate all the troubles for her child. But in all of these women’s body size increase, the questions bother every woman: How does my body change during pregnancy?
So now we see about Body changes during pregnancy
During pregnancy, there are many changes in women’s bodies due to physiological and hormonal changes.
This changes is require because of the maternal adaptation for the increasing demand of a growing fetus.
Table of Contents
Genital Organs Changes during pregnancy
Vulva: It becomes edematous and more vascular. Labia majora are pigmented and hypertrophied.
Vagina: Its wall become hypertrophied, edematous, more vascular. Increased venous blood supply to the surrounding walls of the vagina gives bluish coloration of the mucosa.
Perineum: Enlarged, increased vasculature, hypertrophy of perineal body mad fat deposition
Uterus: Hight increase from 7.5-35cm, Wight increase from 60-1000 gms , Uterine ligaments show hypertrophy. Changes occur in all parts of the uterus.
Breast changes: Increase in size, and it becomes warm, tender, and tense. Increased in the pigmentation of areola and nipple. Montgomery tubercles appear on the areola. Colostrums like fluid expelled from the breast at the end of 3rd month.
Skin Changes during pregnancy
Pigmentation: Due to increased melanocyte-stimulating hormone, linea Niagra more marked below the umbilicus.
- Cholasma gravidarum, buttery pigmentation on the face. (mask of the face).
- Striae gravidarum Stretching of the abdominal wall.
- Rupture of the subcutaneous elastic fibers.
- Pink lines in the flank become white after labor.
- Approximately 12.5 kg at term
- Mainly wt increases in the second half of pregnancy
Causes of Weight increase
- Growth of the fetus
- Enlargement of maternal organ
- Maternal storage of fat increase
Do you want to get rid of your stretch marks? We have recommended a great cream to help reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks, this cream will help your itchiness. You can buy the product clicking on the button given bellowed. BUY NOW 👇
Prevent Your Strech Mark Now
TriLASTIN Maternity Prevention Routine
Skeletal changes during pregnancy
Increase in lordosis
- Pelvic joints and ligaments problems were due to progesterone hormone.
Urinary system – Kidney
- Increase in size
- Effective plasma flow increased
- Frequency of micturation
- In 1st-trimester pressure of the gravid uterus
- In late pregnancy due to enlargement of the head in the pelvic region
Gastrointestinal system changes during pregnancy
- Increased salivation
- Appetite and thirst
- Alteration in pregnancy
- Constipation: Reduced gut motility due to progesterone hormone and increased water, salt absorption.
Cardiovascular system changes during pregnancy
- Heart rate increases from 60-70bpm to 80-85bpm
- Rises stroke volume Cardiac output begins to rise by 35-40% in 1ate pregnancy and 50% in later pregnancy
- Blood pressure Slightly drop in the second trimester
- Increase pulse pressure
- Supine hypotension
- It increases gradually by 30-50%.
White blood cells
- During labor =25,000-30,000
- In last trimester = 16,000
- Leukocytes: 5000-12,000 in last trimester
Respiratory changes during pregnancy
- Increased oxygen demand by 16% in term Pregnancy.
- Pregnancy places higher demands on the C. V. S. Than the respiratory system.
- Diaphragm elevation in late pregnancy
Endocrine changes during pregnancy
- Pituitary – Anterior pituitary increase in size and activity
- Posterior pituitary – the pituitary releases oxytocin during the labor
- Thyroid – Increase in size, known as a physiological goiter.
- Increase in proportion to regulate calcium Metabolism.
- Progesterone: Produce by corpus luteum
- Level rise steadily in pregnancy
Action of Placental hormones during pregnancy
- Reduced colon activity, nausea, constipation, diagnostic pressure, venous dilation, rise in temperature
- It secretes from the ovary in early pregnancy and placenta in later pregnancy.
Action of estrogen during pregnancy
- Regulate the growth of the uterus and its function
- for breast development
- Reduce sodium excretion
- Cause water retention
- Metabolic changes
- Glucose crosses the placenta and fetus uses as a primary energy.
- It is deposited in the liver as a glycogen.
- nitrogen balance
- On average, 500gms of protein retained at the end of pregnancy.
- By 30 wks 4kg.are stored in the form of fats in abdominal walls, back,
- Thighs and smallest amount in the breast.
- In early pregnancy slightly increased, and it’s average at about 16 weeks.
Don’t worry about the body changes during pregnancy. Once after delivery, the body gradually returns to its original condition. There are many ways to lose weight once in childbirth. So give attention to a healthy diet without worrying.
Also, if you think we have missed important information in this post, then remind us in the comments below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Sharing is caring ❤