Conversion disorder is a psychological situation that causes symptoms that appear to be neurological, such as speech impairment, paralysis, or tremors.
Conversion disorder is due to stress and conflict situations.
I had earlier shared All About Stress And Adaptation. I hope you read the post.
It is the presence of one or more clinical symptoms of a neurological problem but not explained by the neurological and medical disorder.
In this topic, we learn more about common causes, symptoms, treatment, and when to see your doctor.
Table of Contents
What are the causes of conversion disorder?
Health researchers are still examining the cause of the conversion disorder. The conversational disorder can mostly be due to some stress, emotional trauma, and depression.
Conversion disorder is common in women than men. It often happens to people who are under emotional stress or have difficulty talking about their feelings.
What are the symptoms of conversion disorder?
Here are some symptoms of conversion disorder include:
- Loss of balance
- Paralysis of the arm and legs
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty in walking
- Loss of hearing
- Double vision, blurred vision
- Shakes and tremors
- Lack of conscious control over the symptoms.
- Slurred speech and inability to speak.
Sometimes the symptoms can be mild or severe. Sometimes the symptoms will stop appearing suddenly.
Do you ever feel overwhelmed or distressed by occasional daily stressors? Unfortunately, you’re not the only one in this hectic modern life. Nevertheless, we understand the feeling, so we recommend Zen, a provider of premium wellness supplements.
Anxiety and Stress Relief Supplement
- Premium Herbal Formula Support
- Calm Mood with Ashwagandha
- L-Theanine, Rhodiola for Occasional Anxiety
Diagnosis for conversion disorder
Your doctor will diagnose conversion disorder using criteria defined by the most recent Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. These criteria are including:
- loss of control of sensory symptoms
- Such symptoms do not appear to be physical or medical. Symptoms may be occurring after a stressful or traumatic event.
The doctor will also ask for some tests to determine your actual conditions, which are given below.
- CT Scan (Computed tomography)
- Blood pressure test
Once correctly diagnosed, there are few treatments to treat conversion disorder.
Treatment for conversion disorder
If anyone sees the symptoms of conversion disorder, then he will tell his doctor once.
- Relaxation techniques
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Physical therapy
- Seeking additional support from family and community
For better treatment also see: Is Psychotherapy Effective?
The symptoms of conversion disorder will get better with treatment and time. Diagnosis and treatment, even a slight delay, can lead to symptoms and further problems.
With better treatment and diagnosis, it is possible to reduce and manage the symptoms of your conversion disorder.
Following therapies can be a help to stabilize several mental health disorders.
- Recreational Therapy: Symptoms, Cause, and Treatment
- What Is Individual Psychotherapy And How It Works?
- Goals Of Supportive Psychotherapy
- Attitude Therapy: Definition, Types, and Step of Therapy
If you want to read suitable post according to your health condition, Ask me to share relatable in the comment box below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!