Conversion disorder is due to stress and conflict situations.
It is the presence of one or more clinical symptoms of a neurological problem but not explained by the neurological and medical disorder.
In this topic, we learn more about common causes, symptoms, treatment, and when to see your doctor.
Table of Contents
What are the causes of conversion disorder?
Conversion disorder is common in women than men. It often happens to people who are under emotional stress or have difficulty talking about their feelings.
What are the symptoms of conversion disorder?
Here are some symptoms of conversion disorder include:
- Loss of balance
- Paralysis of the arm and legs
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty in walking
- Loss of hearing
- Double vision, blurred vision
- Shakes and tremors
- Lack of conscious control over the symptoms.
- Slurred speech and inability to speak.
Sometimes the symptoms can be mild or severe. Sometimes the symptoms will stop appearing suddenly.
Diagnosis for conversion disorder
Your doctor will diagnose conversion disorder using criteria defined by the most recent Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. These criteria are including:
- loss of control of sensory symptoms
- Such symptoms do not appear to be physical or medical. Symptoms may be occurring after a stressful or traumatic event.
The doctor will also ask for some tests to determine your actual conditions, which are given below.
- CT Scan (Computed tomography)
- Blood pressure test
Once correctly diagnosed, there are few treatments to treat conversion disorder.
Treatment for conversion disorder
The symptoms of conversion disorder will get better with treatment and time. Diagnosis and treatment, even a slight delay, can lead to symptoms and further problems.
With better treatment and diagnosis, it is possible to reduce and manage the symptoms of your conversion disorder.
Following therapies can be a help to stabilize several mental health disorders.
- Recreational Therapy: Symptoms, Cause, and Treatment
- What Is Individual Psychotherapy And How It Works?
- Goals Of Supportive Psychotherapy
- Attitude Therapy: Definition, Types, and Step of Therapy
If you want to read suitable post according to your health condition, Ask me to share relatable in the comment box below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!