When a woman gets pregnant for the first time at the age of 35 or 36 or more Called Elderly primigravida.
Generally, elderly primigravida is a high-risk pregnancy having an increased possibility of complications.
With the help of modern technology, the risk has been reducing.
Seriously, many studies have been done to know the risk of elderly primigravida compared to a younger pregnant woman.
What is elderly primigravida?
One with high fecundity: Woman married late but conceives soon after marriage.
One with low fecundity: When women married early but conceived long after marriage.
Table of Contents
What causes elderly primigravida?
Some of these causes are:
- Declining standard quality of eggs with age
- Uterus muscles are no longer contract correctly
- Change progesterone signalling
Elderly primigravida remains a much high-risk pregnancy according to various independent studies done all over the world.
There is a notably increased risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes and operative obstetric interventions.
I have already covered :
- Preterm labor
- Prolonged labor due to
- Uterine inertia caused by anxiety or malposition.
- Impaired joint mobility
- Inelasticity of the soft tissues of the passage.
- Maternal and fetal distress rises early.
- Increased caesarean delivery
- Preterm birth
- Fetal congenital malformation
Here are 2 guides that you can refer to learn more about:
Should do pre-conception counselling. They require antenatal supervision.
Should follow the following principles
- Results of induction are unsatisfactory, and a cesarean section is a preferred alternative.
- Prenatal diagnosis and sonography are making to exclude fetal genetic anomaly.
- The addition of another complication should view with concern.
You must read this article:
Having a healthy baby?
Preconception check-ups or counselling:
When you decide you’re ready for a baby, take these steps before your pregnancy.
See your doctor:
Get a regular check-up to make sure you’re ready for pregnancy emotionally and physically.