It is an acute, progressive, autoimmune, demyelinating polyneuropathy of the peripheral nerve in which the body’s immune attacks part of the peripheral nervous system.
GBS is a disorder characterized by abrupt onset of symmetrical paresis (weakness)that can paralyze.
These sensations can quickly spread, eventually paralyzing the whole body. Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency.
GBS is also known as acute polyradiculoneuritis, acute polyneuritis,
Table of Contents
Causes of guillain barre syndrome
Signs and symptoms of guillain-barre syndrome
- Guillain-Barre syndrome often starts with tingling and weakness, beginning in the feet and legs and spreading to the upper body and arms.
- Weakness in legs
- Progressive muscles weakness
- Muscles pain
- Diminishes reflexes
- Unsteady walking or inability to walk
- Difficulty with bladder control or bowel function
- Rapid heart rate
- Low or high blood pressure
- Difficulty breathing
- Bowel and bladder abnormality
- Changes in sensation
If you find this article useful
Diagnosis of guillain-barre syndrome
- History and neurological examination
- Pulmonary function test
Management of guillain-barre syndrome
Plasma exchange (plasmapheresis). The liquid portion of part of the blood (plasma) is removed and separated from blood cells. The blood cells are puts into the body, which manufactures more plasma to make up for removes. Or can replace blood with donor’s blood.
- Immunoglobulin therapy: The healthy antibody from the Immunoglobulin from blood donors given to the patient.
- Mechanical ventilation: For emergency respiratory and cardiac support.
- NSAIDs(Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs): for pain control
- NSAIDs( Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs): for pain control
Guillain barre syndrome: Flu vaccine side effects
In the past, particularly the flu vaccines used in the US during the swine flu were linked to an increased risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome. But some research has since found that developing the condition after having a vaccination is extremely small.
The recovery period for Guillain-Barré can be very long. In rare cases, the situation can be life-threatening, especially if you don’t get proper treatment. Factors that may lead to a worse outcome include:
- Advanced age
- Delay of treatment
- Severe or rapidly
- progressing illness
In your physical symptoms, you experience emotional difficulties. You may get it helpful to talk to a doctor.
Meanwhile, let me know if you have any feedback for me or for Star Health line?
Remember to share this post with others on Social Media!
Sharing is caring ❤