Hiatus hernia is one of the more common diseases of gastro-intestinal old age. It is a problem of displacement of a portion of the stomach through which the esophagus passes through the chest to the abdominal cavity.
The esophagus passes through an opening in the diaphragm called the hiatus. Hiatus hernia occurs at the esophageal opening.
The hiatus opening in the diaphragm is that separation between the chest and abdominal cavity. Usually, the esophagus goes through hiatus and attaches to the stomach, but in an initial hernia, the stomach bulges up in the chest through the opening.
Before we get started, you should also read : What Does A Hernia Feel Like?: All About Hernia
Table of Contents
Symptoms of hiatal hernia
To get started, you’ll need to: What Is Relation Between Anemia And Covid?
Many people with hiatal hernia may have such symptoms:
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Upset stomach and vomiting
- Severe pain in the chest or abdomen
- Can’t pass gas
- Similar to GERD- Most cases are asymptomatic
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
I also wrote a tutorial on How To Cure GERD Permanently? that you can follow.
Causes of hiatal hernia
Types of hiatal hernia
There are two main types of hiatus hernias:
In this type, the stomach and esophagus both join and slides up in the chest through the chest. It is the standard type of hernia.
You must read this article: Is Ulcerative Colitis An Autoimmune Disease?
- Gastroesophageal junction and fundus of stomach slide through the esophageal hiatus.
- The paraoesophageal hernia is not common in that stomach to stay in its usual locations, but the hiatus hernia squeezes the stomach.
I have already covered Foods That Cause Bowel Obstruction you must read this post.
Risk for hiatal hernia
- Increased intra-abdominal pressure.
- Increased age.
- Congenital weakness.
- Forced recumbent position.
Can you feel a hiatal hernia with your fingers?
Severe cough, severe blows in the abdomen; Tight clothing, obesity, and poor posture can contribute to the development of this problem. The easiest way to diagnose a hiatal hernia is to keep your fingers from top to bottom. Breathe in and feel your abdomen expand.
I also wrote a article on Can Appendicitis Pain Come And Go? also you can read.
To Diagnosis hiatal hernia to testing a doctor includes:
Barium is swallowed
Your doctor will give you a fluid that will show up on an X-ray and detect your esophagus and stomach.
Your doctor cuts a long, thin tube down your throat. The end cardio will check by showing the inside of your esophagus and stomach.
To check if there is pressure on your esophagus when you eat anything, a different type of tube is inserted down your throat.
You must read this article: Peritonitis Usually Occurs When…
Treatment of hiatal hernia
If the patient is not responding to the medical treatment Nissen fundoplication;
thoracic or abdominal part Anchoring the lower esophageal sphincter by wrapping a portion of the stomach around it to anchor it in place.
I also wrote a article on How To Relieve Gastritis Pain Fast? also you can read.
This operation involves a 270` wrap in an attempt to reduce the incidence of gas bloating and postoperative dysphasia. It also is preferred when minimal esophageal dysmotility is suspected.
Hiatal hernia repair
In hernia repair, the surgeon opens the femoral duct and places the lump of fatty tissue back into the abdomen. Afterward, the surgeon closes the canal with a mesh plug and repairs the space that the hernia lets through.
In most cases, hernia patients return to their routine after two to four weeks.
I have already covered Keto Diet For Beginners: Does It Work For Weight Loss? in depth:
- Do not take water between meal; this aids the digestion, besides reducing the incidences of heartburn, when you drink water with a meal, it increases the overall weight in the stomach slows the digestive juices by diluting the digestive juices.
- Take small frequent meals instead of few large ones.
- Drink raw juices from fresh fruits and vegetable.
- Allow the hot drinks to cool a little before drinking.
- Avoid specific medication if possible that influence the heartburn.
Hiatal hernia occurs when the abdomen pushes into a narrow part of the diaphragm.
Like this guide? Don’t forget to share it!
Sharing is caring ❤