Dementia meaning is forgetfulness. It occurs due to any brain disorder or increases with age. it impairment with communication and thinking.
It affects above 60 years of age with the aging process. Still, awareness of dementia is necessary for the middle age group of 45yr to 60 yrs of age to prevent the symptoms of dementia, and a social support system is essential.
How to keep dementia patients to sleep at night?
Dementia and sleep problems at night often go hand in hand. The link between dementia and sleep can be stressful for family caregivers. If you are caring for a member with dementia, improving their sleep is a priority. So we tell you how you can help your family member with dementia to get a better night’s sleep.
- Treat pain and other medical conditions.
- Check for medication side effects.
- Get some sunlight
- Avoid stimulants
- Establish a sleep schedule
- Encourage physical activity during the day.
- Create a soothing environment
I had earlier shared What Is Delirium?: Postoperative Delirium Recovery I hope you read.
Table of Contents
Causes of Dementia
- loss of neurons in the brain, loss of volume in brain regions leads to memory problems in the brain.
You can read more: What Vitamins And Minerals Are Good For the Brain?
- Tangles formation and accumulation of amyloid protein
- Collection of beta-amyloid, an insoluble protein from sticky patches that stick to the dying neurons.
- Stress factors.
Read: Stress And Adaptation
Symptoms of dementia
Stages of dementia
Stage 1: Early Stage
- Declining interest in the environment
- Hesitancy in initiating in environment
- Poor performance at work
Stage 2: Middle Stage
- Progressive memory loss
- Hesitates in response to questions
- Has difficulty in following simple instruction
- Irritable, anxious
- Neglects personal hygiene
- Social isolation
Stage 3: Final Stage
- Incontinence of urine & feces
- Loses the ability to stand and walk
- Death caused by pneumonia
Also seee : How To Treat Covid Pneumonia
- loss of weight because of the low intake of food
- inability to speak
- Does not recognize family
I have already covered:
Diagnosis for dementia
No single test can confirm you have a dementia diagnosis. Instead, a health care provider will use a series of tests and exams. These include:
During the test of dementia, the doctor will ask you some questions, which are given below.
- What is the year?
- What is your age?
- What is the time?
- Your birth date?
Prevention for dementia
How long do people live with dementia?
Treatment of dementia
There is no cure for dementia, as it is not possible to reverse brain cell death. Some of its remedies that can use to cure symptoms
Some medications may reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Three drugs are:
Some non-drug therapies are:
- Modifying common tasks
- Modifying your environment
- Occupational therapy
Dementia is a term that describes symptoms that affect memory, thinking, and behavior.
Symptoms may get worse over time. Certain medications can help manage the symptoms, but ultimately the person needs full-time help.
If you find the information in this post useful, please share it with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Sharing is caring ❤