If you think that your child has low intelligence, logic power, and grasping capability, then there are possible chances of intellectual disability or mental retardation.
A person with mental retardation learns new skills very slowly.
Also read: Encopresis And Autism: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Table of Contents
Is autism an intellectual disability?
These conditions are now called Autism Spectrum Disorders. Intellectual disability is a disability characterized by specific limitations in intellectual function and adaptive behavior, covering everyday social and practical aspects.
Types of intellectual disability
There are four types category of Intellectual disability:
Mild Mental Retardation
The person has an IQ range of 50 to 70. The person learns a new skill, develops good social and communication skills, and has little or no need for supervision. A person has a mindset as equal to an ordinary STD 6th student.
Moderate Mental Retardation
The person has an IQ range of 35 to 50. The person learns new skills through extra effort. A person can do semi-skilled or unskilled work under supervision and has a mindset equal to an ordinary STD 2nd student.
Severe Mental Retardation:
The person has an IQ range of 20 to 35. The person learns new skills very slowly. A person is dependable on others.
Profound Mental Retardation:
The person has an IQ range of below 20—nursing care required in profound mental retardation.
Causes of intellectual disability
Main cause of intellectual disability:
- premature birth
- Alcohol or drugs addiction during pregnancy
- Oxygen deprivation during delivery
- Mercury Poisoning
- Brain injury
- Mentally disturbance due to accident or death of a loved one.
- Genetic factor-like down syndrome, cat cry syndrome.
Symptoms of intellectual disability
- Failure to achieve developmental milestones
- Inabilities to follow commands or direction
- Reduced ability to learn Expressive language
- Psychomotor skill deficit
- Neurologic impairment
- A medical problem such as seizure
- Low self-esteem, depression
- Irritability when upset
- Acting out behavior
Does Your child experience difficulties focusing at school? Equazen Pro can be used as nutritional support for traditional focus and behavioral therapies. Find the product link here…
Fish Oil for Kids
- Improve Focus, Learning
- Memory + Behavior in Children and Teens
- DHA / EPA Omega-3 + Omega-6 Supplement for Brain Support
Diagnosis of intellectual disability
- History collection
- Physical examination
- Neurological examination
- Mental Status Examination
- Milestone development
- Blood, MRI, EEG, CT scan Investigations
- Urine Physical examination
- Neurological examination
Treatment of intellectual disability
- Helps the parents develop coping skill and deal with anger
- Continuous Supervision
- Monitoring the child’s need and problem
- Planning Program for speech, language, and self-care learning
- medication, in some cases
- Genetic counseling of parent before and during pregnancy
- immunization for rubella vaccine during pregnancy
- Analysis of fetus for the genetic disorder during pregnancy
Avoid alcohol and drugs
- Injection gamma globulin which can prevent Rh-negative mother from developing antibodies
- Proper nutrition of the child during the first six month
- Avoidance of hazards such as lead poisoning accident
- Psychiatric treatment for emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Provision of education, training, occupation for each disabled person.
I have also covered following posts, you must read:
When ID occurs with other serious problems, your child’s age is lower than average. However, if your child has a mild to moderate ID, they have an average life expectancy.
Support services are helpful to support an independent and accomplished live adult with ID.
Like this guide? Don’t forget to share it!
Sharing is caring ❤