Epilepsy is a lifelong disease that causes unprovoked, repetitive illnesses. An illness is an unexpected rush of electrical activity in mind.
Table of Contents
Causes of epilepsy
- Genetic influence
- Head trauma.
- Brain conditions.
- Infectious diseases including meningitis, encephalitis
- Prenatal injury.
- Congenital disorders
- Developmental disorders
- Brain tumor
- Metabolic disorders
I had earlier shared following posts, you can read:
Focal seizures: it occurs when there is abnormal activity in the brain; they are called focal or partial seizures
Generalized seizures: it results from abnormal neuronal activity in both sides of the brain.
Simple Focal seizure
These are simple partial seizures that do not cause loss of consciousness
- Generalized seizures
- Absence seizures
It commonly occurs in children as a cluster that cause loss of awareness. It is also known as petit mal seizures.
- Tonic seizures. Tonic seizures cause stiffening of muscles. It includes powers of the back, arm, legs.
- Atonic seizures are also known as drop seizures that cause sudden falls or collapse and lead to muscle control loss.
- Clonic seizures. Clonic seizures are repeated or rhythmic, jerking muscle movements. It affects the face, neck, and arm.
- Myoclonic seizures: it is sudden jerks or twitches of the arms and legs.
- Tonic-clonic seizures.: That causes loss of consciousness, body stiffing, shaking, biting the tongue, and losing bladder control.
Signs and symptoms
Is epilepsy genetic?
According to the specialists, there are many cases of genetic disposition, including environmental circumstances that give on to epilepsy.
Is epilepsy a disability
- A neurological exam
- Blood tests
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
Hundreds of genes play a role in epilepsy. Sometimes a single change in a gene may be enough to cause epilepsy. An environmental factor is also required. Advance in genetic epilepsy helps us better understand the disease and the possibilities for improving the treatment of people living with epilepsy.
Related: Ashwagandha Top Health Benefits
If you find the information in this post useful, please share it with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Sharing is caring ❤