Calcium plays a significant role in our bodies. Calcium helps strengthen bones and teeth while also supporting the muscles, nerves, and heart. However, High calcium levels can lead to problems.
In this post, we explore the symptoms, causes, and complications of high calcium. We also describe what foods to avoid when calcium is high.
I have already shared a post related to this topic What is Hyperparathyroidism And Abdominal Bloating? I hope you read this post.
Table of Contents
Symptoms of a high calcium level
Symptoms of a high calcium level develop slowly. You may not notice them initially because they can feel like cancer symptoms, or you may not have any symptoms.
An extreme level of calcium can cause:
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Constipation and abdominal pain
- Drinking more fluids and urinate more or often than usual
- Tiredness, weakness, or muscle pain
- Confusion or difficulty in thinking
Also see: Constipation Cure
Serious symptoms can include:
I also wrote an article on 7 Symptoms Of A Heart Attack In Men also you can read.
Several underlying conditions can cause high calcium levels. These include:
- Overactive parathyroid glands: The parathyroid gland controls calcium levels. If they run overactive, this can lead to a high calcium level.
- Too much vitamin D: Excessive amounts of vitamin D cause the body to absorb more calcium, leading to high calcium levels.
- Cancer: If cancer spreads to the bones, this increases the risk of high calcium levels.
- Reduced mobility: People who cannot move around for long periods may also be at risk for high calcium levels.
- Dehydration: Severely dehydrated people have less water in their blood, increasing calcium concentration in the blood.
Must see: How Do You Know If You Are Dehydrated?
- Severe medications: Some medications can overstimulate the parathyroid gland, leading to high calcium levels.
Is high calcium a sign of cancer?
If a person has cancer, this can be a sign of high calcium. Cancer with high calcium commonly leads to the following conditions such as:
- Lung cancer
- Breast cancer
- Blood cancer
You must read this article: Does Breast Cancer Hurt?
Cancer causes a high calcium level in the blood. High calcium levels due to cancer can be caused by too much calcium in your diet. Consuming fewer dairy products and other high-calcium foods will not lower high blood calcium levels.
Other health conditions:
Including cancer, the following conditions are known to cause high levels of calcium:
What foods to avoid when calcium is high?
Consuming extremely high amounts of calcium-rich foods in the diet can also contribute to high calcium.
Avoid following foods when calcium is high:
- Dairy products: Dairy products, like milk, yogurt, and cheese, are high in calcium and can lead to high calcium levels if consumed in large quantities.
- Kinds of seafood: Several kinds of seafood are rich in Vitamin D and should be avoided if you have high calcium levels in your blood.
- Green vegetables: Cooked green vegetables are calcium-rich and may need to be avoided for a high calcium level.
- Eggs: People with high blood calcium need to limit their intake of eggs, as eggs contain 23 international units (IU) of Vitamin D.
Ask your doctor before adjusting your diet to treat high calcium levels.
I also wrote an article on What Is A Balanced Diet? also you can read.
A person’s viewpoint depends on the cause and severity of high calcium levels.
A mild level of calcium does not require treatment. However, if the condition becomes more serious, a doctor can prescribe medications that lower calcium levels.
Anyone experiencing symptoms of high calcium should speak with a doctor.
If you want to read suitable post according to your health condition, Ask me to share relatable in the comment box below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!