Jaundice is one of the most common problems in the new born.
Jaundice in children may be a sign of a more serious health problem. It occurs when the amount of bilirubin in the blood increases.
Table of Contents
Types of jaundice
- Immature liver
- Increased bilirubin load on liver cells
- Increased RBCs destruction
- Decreased serum albumin concentration
- Decreased bilirubin excretion
- Defective bilirubin conjugation
- Pathological jaundice is the most harmful jaundice in children.
- Baby is affected by this jaundice, mostly within 24 hours after birth.
Breast milk Jaundice
- It is late-onset jaundice, which is occurring 5-6 days infant. 2-3% of babies are affected by this type of disease.
- Causes:- It caused by breast milk factor like, Pregnanediol, fatty acid, B glucuronidase
- This jaundice is affected by that child who has not got an adequate amount of breast milk or breastfeeding.
- 10-25% of breastfed babies are affected by this type of jaundice.
I have already covered Breastfeeding And It’s Techniques in depth:
Causes of jaundice
- Suddenly raised bilirubin level
- Liver disease
- Incompatibility of blood
- Neonate sepsis
- Hereditary spherocytosis
- Metabolic disorder
Symptoms of jaundice
- Yellow discoloration of the skin
- Refusal to feed
- Dark urine and stool
Diagnostic evaluation of jaundice
- Physical examination
- Serum bilirubin estimation:- above 5 mg/ dl
- Noninvasive method:-Ingram micrometer
- Transcutaneous bilirubin meter
Management of jaundice
Treatment of jaundice
- Bilirubin absorbed the blue light 420-500nm maximum, and the daylight and white light are 550-600nm. That is why it is less effective.
- In this technique, we use a combination of white and blue light.
- Baby should be kept naked except diaper on the body.
- Eyes of the infant should shield to prevent eye patches and protect the damage of the retina.
- Keep baby at a distance of about 45 cm from light sources.
- Baby’s position should be changed frequently.
- Expose all body parts in front of light sources.
Complications of jaundice
A Complication of Phototherapy
- Increase environmental and body temperature
- Retinal damage
- Bronze baby syndrome
- Congenital erythropoietin porphyria
A Complication of Jaundice
- Transient encephalopathy (neurological dysfunction)
- Kernicterus (toxicity of bilirubin)
- Poor sucking
- Opisthotonus position
- Pitch cry
- Death may occur
Apart from these article, I recommend you to read following posts that will help you to reduce the risk:
Still have any questions about jaundice? Ask in the comments section!
Like this article? Don’t forget to share it!
Sharing is caring ❤