What Is Laryngitis?
It is an inflammation of the larynx caused by chemical or mechanical irritation or bacterial infection.
Laryngitis is defined as the inflammation and swelling of the mucous membrane lining the larynx in the upper part of the respiratory tract.
Laryngitis is a widespread problem and often occurs during an upper respiratory tract infection(cold).
Table of Contents
Causes & classification
Most cases of laryngitis are temporary and improve after the underlying causes get better.
- Viral infection from cold
- Viruses such as measles or mumps
Laryngitis that lasts more than three weeks is known as chronic laryngitis.
Less common causes are:
Signs and symptoms of laryngitis
- The most common symptoms are hoarseness of voice.
- Weak voice and voiceless
- Dryness, sore throat, and dry cough
- Fever and Cold- flu-like symptoms
- Feeling of fullness in throat or neck.
- Pain in swallowing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty breathing
I have already covered:
The typical symptom of laryngitis is hoarseness, so doctors will take care to listen to the person’s voice with laryngitis. They also ask questions about lifestyle and other related diseases. Your doctor also looks for the following signs of laryngitis:
- Vocal cord swelling
- Lesions on the voice box
If the doctor sees a lesion or other suspicious mass, they may order a biopsy. During a biopsy, the doctor removes a small piece of tissue to be examined in a lab.
- To prevent dryness/irritation of the vocal cord.
- Do not smoke & avoid second-hand smoke
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid clearing the throat
- To reduce strain on the voice.
- Use a cold, moist humidifier
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Give your voice a break
- Inhale steam or breath moist air
- Avoid whispering because whisper put more significant strain than speak
- Moisten the throat, try sucking on lozenges, gargle, or chewing gum.
- People take several measures to limit irritation and dryness to the vocal cords.
- Please do not allow the patient to smoke the smoke that goes inside while smoking causes dryness of the throat and irritation in our vocal cords.
- The patient should consume alcohol or caffeine-containing substances in tiny quantities because it causes water loss in your body, so they should consume water as much as possible.
- The patient should consume fluids as fluids help thin the mucus in the throat and clear it quickly.
- The patient should speak as little as possible and give rest to his voice.
- Sucking tablets and throat spray should be used if the patient has pain in the throat.
- The patient should maintain personal hygiene as much as possible.