Abdominal pain caused by pancreatitis, inflammation in the pancreas, is a severe and sharp pain in the upper middle of the abdomen that can spread to your chest or back.
The pancreas extends behind your abdomen on the left side of your stomach. It is close to the front part of your small intestine.
The pancreas is a gland. It does two main things:
- It produces enzymes and throws them into your small intestine. These enzymes help cut down food.
- It makes the hormones and sends them into your bloodstream.
Pancreatitis may be sudden acute or chronic.
I had earlier shared What Is Acute Pancreatitis?: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment. Hope you read the post
Table of Contents
- It is a sudden inflammation
- Lasts for a short time
- May cause severe problems or be deadly in difficult cases
- Lets the pancreas return to normal afterward
- It is a long-lasting inflammation that comes and goes over time.
- Often causes scarring of pancreatic muscle
- May cause the pancreas to prevent making enzymes and hormones in severe cases.
Causes of abdominal pain
- Alcohol abuse
- Lumps of solid material gallstones
- Belly injury or surgery
- High levels of calcium in the blood
- Certain medicines, such as estrogens, steroids
- Infections, such as hepatitis virus or B
- Certain genetic defects
- Congenital abnormalities in the pancreas
- Trauma to the pancreas
Don’t forget to read: Symptoms Of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder | Can Stress Cause Dizziness?
What are the symptoms of middle abdominal pain?
Symptoms may include:
- Severe abdominal pain that may spread to your back or chest
- Heart rate
- Swelling and feeling sore in your upper abdomen
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes
- Fluid buildup in your belly
- Lowered blood pressure
The symptoms of middle abdominal pain may look like other health problems.
Middle abdominal pain treatment (Pancreatitis)
The treatment is to rest the middle abdominal pain.
In most cases, you:
- Will be given intravenous fluids.
- Will be given pain medicine that fights bacterial infections.
- If light, you may be able to eat clear fluids or a low-fat diet. However, if challenging, you may not be able to eat or drink for a few days to let your pancreas rest.
If other problems occur, treatment may include:
- Nasogastric tube.
- ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography).
- Surgery to remove gallstones or your gallbladder.
If you have chronic pancreatitis;
- Have to avoid alcohol
- Stop smoking
- Supplements to help digest your food
- If you get diabetes
- Eat to small, high-protein, low-fat meals
- Surgery to remove the permanently damaged portion of your pancreas. In advanced conditions, a special transplant called islet cell transplant is done.
- Need medicine for chronic pain
Lower left abdominal pain in kids
Kids find it very difficult to tell where the pain is occurring.
In children, common causes of left lower left abdominal pain.
Normal in children.
- Means passing hard stools with trouble less often than usual.
- Usually causes pain on the left, over the last part of the colon.
To learn more you can read: Constipation Cure | Best Probiotic For Constipation 2021
Gastroenteritis and food poisoning
- Cause diarrhea.
- It may also cause the child to be vomit and have abdominal cramp pains.
- Pain may be anywhere in the abdomen.
- Pain may ease for a while, sometimes diarrhea.
- It can lead to wind, and watery stools, bloating tummy pain; after drink milk
- Sometimes happen for a while after gastroenteritis.
- In children with infections such as colds, glands within the tummy commonly become inflamed, giving them tummy ache.
- The child may have other cold symptoms, such as a runny nose or a sore throat.
- Coeliac condition is caused by a reaction of the gut to gluten. Gluten is found in various foods. Stools may be smelly and difficult to flush away.
Abdominal pain can sometimes be normal and is often caused by conditions treatable at home.
Sometimes they can be a symptom of a problem that requires a doctor’s attention, however.
- Sharp Stomach Pain Covid | Stomach Pain After Covid
- Right Sided Abdominal Pain | Abdominal Pain After Pregnancy
- Lower Abdominal Pain Pregnancy | Period Like Bleeding During Pregnancy
- Upper Abdomen Bloating | What Does Bloating Feel Like?
Don’t forget to share this guide with your network on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn!
Sharing is caring ❤