The Mitral valve is the narrowing of the mitral valve. It is an obstruction of blood flowing from the left atrium into the left ventricle during diastole.
The mitral valve is placed on the left side of the heart between the two chambers: the ventricle and atrium. The ventricle is the lower chamber, and the atrium is the upper chamber.
Mitral valve stenosis can lead to various issues, including fatigue, difficulty in breathing, blood clots, and heart failure.
Rheumatic fever is the main leading cause of mitral valve stenosis. Rheumatic fever is prevalent in some countries, but it’s rare in the United States due to early recognition or treatment of streptococcal infection.
To learn more, you can read.
Table of Contents
Mitral valve stenosis causes
In other cases, babies are born with a mitral valve that causes a problem over time. Autoimmune diseases have lupus, which also may rarely cause mitral valve stenosis.
Some complications with a sore throat, rheumatic fever can damage the mitral valve. Mitral valve stenosis symptoms might not show up for years.
As age progresses, calcium deposits can build up around the mitral valve (annulus), leading to mitral valve stenosis.
Some other causes of the mitral valve include.
- Severe mitral annular or leaflet calcification.
- Endocarditic vegetation.
- Degenerative calcification of an implanted tissue prosthetic heart valve.
- Congenital disabilities of the mitral valve.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Rheumatic endocarditis.
Signs and symptoms
- Haemoptysis (pulmonary congestion, pulmonary embolism).
- Cough (pulmonary congestion) .
- Chest pain (pulmonary hypertension) .
- Thrombo embolic complications (e.g., stroke, ischemic limb).
- Atrial fibrillation. Breathlessness – Reduced lung compliance due to chronic pulmonary venous congestion .
- Fatigue – low cardiac output .
- Oedema, ascites (right heart failure) .
- Palpitation (atrial fibrillation).
Diagnosed mitral valve stenosis
There is some test that doctor may use to diagnose mitral valve stenosis.
- Chest X-ray.
- Doppler echocardiography.
- Cardiac catheterization.
Keeping your heart healthy is essential in these modern busy days. Below HumanN Vitamin D3 Chews are the No. 1 doctor recommended brand that supports healthy heart function; You can find the product link below.
SuperBeets Heart Chews
Helps Support Healthy Circulation, Blood Pressure, and Energy
- Systemic embolism: anticoagulants.
- Atrial fibrillation: ventricular rate control by digoxin, β-blockers, or rate-limiting calcium antagonists.
- Pulmonary congestion: diuretic therapy .
- Provide antibiotic prophylaxis to treat endocarditis.
- Mitral valvuloplasty.
- Valve replacement.
Complications may include:
- Blood clots in the brain, kidney, intestine.
- Congestive heart failure.
- Pulmonary edema.
- Pulmonary hypertension.
Your doctor suggests you for changing your diet, lifestyle change:
You have to maintain the weight that is healthy for you. The doctor will instruct you for exercise to help you to get fit and healthy.
A few other articles that you might be interested in:
- What Is Congestive Heart Failure? | Congestive Heart Failure Medications
- Congestive Heart Failure Prognosis | Acute Congestive Heart Failure
- Aortic Regurgitation Murmur | Aortic Valve Regurgitation Life Expectancy
Do share this post with others who wanted to learn about health solutions in depth.
Sharing is caring ❤