Anti Anxiety DrugsIt is CNS depressants which control the symptom of anxiety. They produce a calming effect on anxiety states without interfering with normal mental or physical functions. And now we about most powerful anti anxiety drugs.
Table of Contents
Indications of anti anxiety drugs
- Post-traumatic stress
- Bipolar I disorder
- Other psychiatric indication includes alcohol withdrawal, substance-induced, and psychotic agitation.
- Generalized anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder with anxious mood.
- Panic disorder, agoraphobia, and school phobia (particularly alprazolam and clonazepam)
- Stage 4 N REM sleep disorders like enuresis, somnambulism, (Diazepam reduces the duration of stage 4 N REM sleep).
- Nightmares (Diazepam also reduces REM sleep duration)
- To produce skeletal muscle relaxation (e.g., in tetanus, cerebral palsy)
- For anticonvulsant use
- Treatment of alcohol and other drug withdrawal syndromes.
- For minor surgical, endoscopic, or obstetric procedures.
- Antipsychotic induced akathisia
- Emergency management of acute psychoses ( iv lorazepam, along with parenteral antipsychotics)
- Narcoanalysis or abreaction (IV diazepam)
- Treatment-resistant schizophrenia (experimental use in High doses)
- Psychosomatic disorders
Most powerful anti anxiety drugs
Non – Barbiturates, Non-Benzodiazepine Antianxiety
- Meprobamate glutethimide, ethanol, diphenhydramine, and methaqualone.
- Buspirone, Gepirone
- It is a choice of treatment
- Short-acting – oxazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam
- Very short-acting- Triazolam, midazolam
- Long-acting – chlordiazepoxide, Diazepam (valium, closed), lorazepam
- Antianxiety drugs depress subcortical levels of
- the CNS, particularly the limbic system and reticular formation. They may potentiate the effects of the powerful inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA in the brain, thereby
- Producing a calmative effect.
Side effect of anti anxiety drugs
- Light headedness
- Cognitive impairment
- Vertigo sometimes
- Confusional state in elderly
- Increased appetite
- Weight gain
- Alteration in sexual function
- Rashes are uncommon
- Some women fail to ovulate when on regular use of BZDs
- Dependency on others
Different Drugs related to Mental Health that you might be interested in:
- Psychotropic Medications Are Drugs That Treat Psychiatric Symptoms By Restoring…
- What Do Antipsychotic Drugs Do? | Antipsychotic Drugs Are Used To Treat..
- Examples Of Antiparkinsonian Drugs
- Antidepressant Drugs List And Side Effects
If you find the information in this post useful, please share it with your friends and colleagues on Face book, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Sharing is caring ❤