ODD is a behavioral disorder that happens in defiance and violence against authorization. It can affect a person’s job, school, and social life.
The child is having a frequent pattern of aggressiveness, irritability, arguing.
Behavior with parents or others may indicate a child has oppositional defiant disorder.
Oppositional Defient disorder comes under the DSM-5 criteria of Disruptive, Impulse-Control, and Conduct Disorders.
I have already shared a post related to this topic How Parenting a Child with Conduct Disorder? I hope you read this post.
Table of Contents
Causes of oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)
First i recommend you to read following posts that will help you: Disruptive Behavior Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Seeks to blame others for any misdeeds.
- The cause of Oppositional defiant disorder, Conduct disorder, and Attention-deficit hyper disorder are unknown, but some risk factors associated with disruptive behavior disorders are:
- Gender: Boys are more likely than girls to suffer from behavior disorders.
- Gestation and Birth: Hard pregnancy, before time birth, and low birth weight may, in some patients, lead to problematic manners of the child in later life.
- Temper tantrum
- Aggressive behavior
- Family life: Behavior problems are more likely to occur in dysfunctional families, such as domestic violence, low parenting skill, substance abuse, etc.
- Learning difficulties and intellectual disabilities: Children with reading and writing problems and intellectual disabilities are double as likely to have behavior disorders.
- Brain activity: Studies have shown that brain areas that control attention appear to be less active in children with ADHD.
Signs and symptoms of oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)
- Diagnosis of Disruptive behavioral disorder is difficult, as these are complicated disorders and may include many different factors working in combination.
- The methods used for diagnosis include:
- Diagnosis by a specialist, which may consist of a pediatrician, psychologist, or child psychiatrist.
- In-depth interviews with parents, children, and teachers.
- Behavior checklists or standardized questionnaires.
You must read this article: Children’s Mental Health and Emotional Well being in Primary Schools
Treatment of disruptive behavior disorder is usually multifaceted. It may include:
- Parents should teach how to communicate with and manage their children.
Functional Family Therapy
- The family has to improve communication and problem-solving skill.
Also see to improve your personal skills: Marital and Family Therapy: Goals, Complications and Types
Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive behavior therapy helps the child to control their thoughts and behavior.
Read this article: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy For ADHD Child
- The child has to teach the essential social skill to make conversation and play with others.
You should also read: Mentally Challenged Child: How To Deal With Them?
ODD is often very chaotic in daily work and has serious consequences. However, if diagnosed early, ODD can be successfully managed.
However, individuals who see wrong behavior must be wary of labeling it a behavioral disorder.
- Early Signs Of Antisocial Behavior in Children include: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- What is Amnesia? | Childhood Amnesia Trauma
Meanwhile, let me know if you have any feedback for me or for Star Health line?
Don’t forget to share this post!
Sharing is caring ❤