Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Exposure to traumas such as a severe accident, a natural disaster, or criminal assault can result in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. When the aftereffect of a traumatic experience interferes with normal functioning, the person may have PTSD.
It affects between 7 and 8 percent of the population, and women are more affected than men.
I had earlier shared What Is Anxiety Disorder?. I hope you read the post.
Rather than feeling better as time goes on, the person may become more anxious and fearful. PTSD can disrupt a person’s life for many years, but treatment can help you to recover.
Table of Contents
Causes of PTSD
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can occur after a traumatic event. Include:
I also wrote a tutorial on What is Amnesia? that you can follow.
- Serious accidents
- Natural disasters
- Military confrontation
- Terrorist attacks
- Loss of loved one
- Personal assault
- Being a victim of crime
I recommend you to read following posts that will help you: Is Adjustment Disorder With Anxiety A Mental Illness?
Any situation that triggers shock, fear, horror, or helplessness can lead to PTSD.
Can Stress Cause Dizziness?
Dizziness is a general symptom of anxiety, stress, and if one is experiencing dizziness can result. On the other hand, dizziness can be anxiety-producing. The vestibular system is responsible for body position and movement in surroundings.
It remains unclear why people develop PTSD while others do not.
The following risk factors may raise the chance of experiencing symptoms:
You must read this article: Conversion Disorder Psychology Definition
- Lacking social support after an event
- Having a history of mental health problems
- experience of abuse, for example, during childhood
- Losing a job and losing a loved one
Read: What Is Acute Dissociative Disorder?
Some genetic and physical factors may play a role. These impact the chance of having anxiety, depression, and PTSD
Here we recommend vegan adrenal support supplements designed for individuals who would like to maintain their overall emotional well-being and healthy stress levels.
Vegan Liquid Phyto Capsules for Adrenal Health Daily Support
Stress Relief and Adrenal Fatigue Supplement
Contains Ashwagandha, Holy Basil, Rhodiola`
Symptoms and diagnosis
PTSD symptoms usually start within three months of an event, but they can begin later.
To learn more, you can read: What Are The Most powerful Anti Anxiety Drugs?
To receive a diagnosis of PTSD, they meet criteria set out by the American Psychological Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Fifth Edition.
Also see: Psychotropic Medications Are Drugs That Treat Psychiatric Symptoms By Restoring…
Here are examples of these four types of a symptom:
- Fearful dreams
- Withdrawing to discuss the issue
- Avoid situations that recall the person of the experience
I recommend you to read following posts that will help you: All about ADHD Iceberg and Body Doubling Adhd
Arousal and reactivity symptoms
- Hypersensitivity to possible dangers
- Feeling tense and anxious
- Difficulty sleeping
- Irritability and angry outbursts
Symptoms that affect mood and thinking
I also wrote an article on What is Specific Developmental Disorder? also you can read.
- Difficulty concentrating
- Having a reduced interest in life
- Feelings of guilt and blame
There also be physical symptoms, but these are not included in the DSM-5 criteria:
- A weak immune system can lead to various infections.
- Sleep disorders can result in tiredness and other problems.
- Physical effects include sweating, headaches, shaking, dizziness, stomach problems, aches and pains, and chest pain.
Read: How Can I Boost My Immune System?
Children and teens
- Inability to speak
- Acting out the event in play
- Being clingy with an adult
Children who have undergone sexual abuse are more likely to:
Must read: Which Of The Following Is A Benefit of Group Therapy?
- Hurt themselves
- Misuse drugs or alcohol
- Feel fear, sadness, anxiety, and isolation
- Have a low sense of self-worth
As part of the PTSD diagnostic process, the person may be provided a screening test to evaluate whether or not they own PTSD.
The time used for this can range from 15 minutes to one-hour sessions. A more comprehensive assessment may be used if there are legal implications or if a disability claim depends on it.
If symptoms disappear after a few days, there may be a diagnosis of acute stress disorder.
Many people recover in 6 months, but some continue to experience symptoms for years.
This disease can be treated only by a psychologist. This treatment can last for a long time or even for life. During this, counseling, hypnosis, and medicines are used for the treatment of the patient.
To learn more, you can read: Goals Of Supportive Psychotherapy
Some medications are applied to treat PTSD.
Particular serotonin reuptake, like paroxetine, are ordinarily used. SSRIs also help heal depression, anxiety, and sleep problems, often linked to PTSD. In addition, there have been some statements that antidepressant medications can cause an increased risk of suicide in individuals under 24.
Read: Is Psychotherapy Effective?
The study has suggested that the following therapies may help, but further evidence is needed to confirm their safety and effectiveness.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cortisone hormone therapy
- Computer games
I have already covered some therapy: What Is Individual Psychotherapy And How It Works?
- Finding someone to trust in.
- Spending time with people who know what has occurred.
- Letting people know what trigger signs.
- Breaking down tasks into smaller pieces to make them easier to prioritize.
- Doing exercises, such as walking, swimming, or meditation
- Practicing breathing, relaxation, or meditation ways.
- Listening to music or spending some time with nature.
- Understanding that it will take some time for signs to run away.
- Trusting that PTSD is not a sign of weakness and can relate to anyone.
- Participating in delightful activities that can provide distraction.
Many people who work in situations where traumatic accidents are more likely to occur, the military and emergency services, maybe given training or counseling to support them reduce the risk of PTSD. However, the effectiveness of PTSD has been examined, and studies have suggested that it can be harmful. It may interface with the natural recovery method, for example, by pushing people to face thoughts and emotions before they can do so.
Do let me know in the comment box, how you have enhanced your health? And are you also wanted to learn more about treatments?
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Sharing is caring ❤