The right and left ventricles of a baby do not separate before birth. As the baby develops in the womb, a septal wall separates these two ventricles. If the wall is not fully formed, a hole remains.
This may result in a murmur that can be heard on examination, and it can be diagnosed with an echocardiogram.
This hole in the heart is called a ventricular septal defect or a ventricular septal defect. Along the septal wall, this hole can be in different places.
I had earlier shared Atrial Septal Defect Murmur? I hope you read the post.
Table of Contents
Types of vsd
- It is an opening in the lower section of the muscular portion of the ventricular septum. Immediate surgery is not required.
- This opening locates near the valves in the ventricular septum’s upper section called the membranous septum. This type of VSD is the one that is most commonly treated by surgery because most do not close on their own.
Atrioventricular canal type VSD
- This defect under tricuspid and mitral valves.
Canal septal VSD
- The rarest of VSDs occurs in the ventricular septum just below the pulmonary valve.
I have already covered :
Causes of vsd
- The cause of the ventricular septal defect is not known. This defect often occurs due to congenital heart defects.
Ventricular stenosis is very rare in adults. But, it can increase the chances of a heart attack. The chances of a severe heart attack due to VSD also increase.
- Gene defect.
- Chromosome abnormality.
- Environmental exposure.
Symptoms of vsd
- Rapid breathing
- Heavy breathing
- Congested breathing
- Disinterest in feeding, or tiring while feeding
- Poor weight gain.
To learn more, you can read : When To Go To The Hospital For Rapid Heart Rate?
Keeping your heart healthy is essential in these modern busy days. Qunol antioxidant supplements are the No. 1 doctor recommended brand that supports healthy heart function; You can find the product link below.
Better Absorption with Water and Fat Soluble Natural Supplement
Best Antioxidant for Heart Health
What is a ventricular septal defect murmur?
Ventricular septal defects produce murmur. Blood flows abnormally from high pressure to low pressure, creating poor blood flow and murmur. A very small VSD can cause tremors on the chest.
Read: Aortic Stenosis Murmur
Ventricular septal defect icd 10
Ventricular septal defect. icd 10 code Q21. 0.
Your doctor will check your baby’s heartbeat with the help of a stethoscope, take a complete medical history, and perform other tests.
A tracheal echocardiogram (TEE) is taken by numbing the throat and then pulling a thin tube with an ultrasound device down the throat and into the esophagus, close to the heart.
The echocardiogram is an ultrasound of the heart when saline bubbles are injected into the bloodstream.
Radio and magnetic waves are used to take pictures of the heart in MRI.
Treatment of vsd
- ACE inhibitors decreased the body’s blood pressure, making blood easier to pump blood from the left ventricle to the body.
- Diuretics. It removes excess fluid from the body.
- Digoxin. It helps heart muscles to work smoothly and efficiently.
- Open heart surgery.
- Cardiac catheterization
In children with mild defects and no symptoms, the doctor closes and monitors your child’s VSD.
The higher the success rate of surgery and the longer the results, the longer the recovery time depends on the size of the defect and any health or heart problems.
Here are a few more articles which will help you heart disease
- Mitral Valve Regurgitation Life Expectancy: How Long Can You Live With It?
- Does Myocarditis Go Away?
- Angina Pectoris Occurs When….
If you want to read suitable post according to your health condition, Ask me to share relatable in the comment box below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Sharing is caring ❤