Antipsychotic drugs are used in psychosis and other mental and emotional disorders’ treatment.
Table of Contents
What do antipsychotic drugs do?
Mechanism of action
- Mesolimbic and meso frontal systems (concerned with emotional reactions).
The alpha-adrenergic blockade causes Sedation.
- Anti-dopaminergic drugs cause the EPS (Extrapyramidal Symptoms)
- Atypical antipsychotics have anti serotonergic (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) and adrenergic and antihistaminic actions. These are therefore called serotonin-dopamine antagonists.
Antipsychotic drugs are used to treat...
Treat organic psychiatric disorders
- Delirium tremens
- Drug-induced psychosis
- Other organic mental disorders
Treat functional disorders
- Schizoaffective disorders
- Paranoid disorders
Read: Is Schizophrenia a Disability?
Treat mood disorders
- Major depression with psychotic symptoms
Also read: What Is Mood Disorder?: Types, Symptoms, Causes, And Treatment
Treat childhood disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Autism Enuresis
- Conduct disorder
Treat neurotic and other psychiatric disorder
- Anorexia nervosa
- Intractable obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Severe, intractable and disabling anxiety
Treat medical disorders
- Huntington’s chorea
- Intractable hiccough
- Nausea and vomiting
- Tic disorder
- Severe pain in malignancy Tetanus
- hepatic dysfunction
- QT prolongation
- CNS depression
- bone marrow depression
Say hi to attention, retention, and concentration. Here we recommend a natural brain booster enriched with the goodness of mushroom and other herbal ingredients that help improve brain functions. Buy the product right now to get impressive benefits. BUY NOW 👇
NATURAL BRAIN BOOSTER
Mushroom and Herb Supplement
Promotes Concentration, Memory and Cognitive Functioning
Side effect of antipsychotic drugs
- Extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS)
- Nausea; GI upset
- Skin rash
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Hormonal effects
- ECG changes
- Reduction of seizure threshold
For further reading:
If you see any of these side effects after using this Drug medication, let us know in the comment box. So we can help you
Like this article? Don’t forget to share it!
Sharing is caring ❤