What do antipsychotic drugs do?
Mechanism of action
- Mesolimbic and meso frontal systems (concerned with emotional reactions).
The alpha-adrenergic blockade causes Sedation.
Antipsychotic drugs are used to treat...
Treat organic psychiatric disorders
Treat functional disorders
- Schizoaffective disorders
- Paranoid disorders
Treat mood disorders
Treat childhood disorders
Treat neurotic and other psychiatric disorder
- Anorexia nervosa
- Intractable obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Severe, intractable and disabling anxiety
Treat medical disorders
- Huntington’s chorea
- Intractable hiccough
- Nausea and vomiting
- Tic disorder
- Severe pain in malignancy Tetanus
Side effect of antipsychotic drugs
- Extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS)
- Nausea; GI upset
- Skin rash
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Hormonal effects
- ECG changes
- Reduction of seizure threshold
For further reading:
If you see any of these side effects after using this Drug medication, let us know in the comment box. So we can help you
Like this article? Don’t forget to share it!
Sharing is caring ❤