What Is Delirium Tremens?
Delirium is a mental disorder in that the patient has problems thinking, paying attention, and concentration, unaware of time, place, person, disturbed speech, and hallucination. (in that misinterpretation in the absence of stimuli). A person can do physical activities but with some confusion. It is due to mental trauma, head injury, brain tumor, drug overdose or withdrawal, or any brain degenerative disease.
I had earlier shared What is Alzheimer’s Disease?: Cure, Causes, Symptoms and Risk factor. I hope you read the post.
Table of Contents
Causes of delirium
- Brain dysfunction due to high blood pressure, cerebral problem, internal bleeding into the brain
- Infection such as encephalitis, meningitis, abnormal cell growth or cancerous growth in any lesions of the brain.
- Any over drunkness of alcohol or substances or withdrawal effect of the sedatives or hypnotic drugs.
- Trauma due to head injury that causes laceration into the brain.
- Vitamin deficiency such as thiamine deficiency.
- Endocrine and metabolic disorder such as diabetic coma, shock, hepatic failure
- Metals: heavy metals ( manganese, mercury, ) ,carbon monoxide, toxins .poisoning
- Lack of oxygen in the brain.
Predisposing factors that can influence delirium
- Male gender
- Sensory impairment
- Advanced age
- History of alcohol abuse
The precipitating factor that influences delirium
- Any factors that affect neurotransmitter, neuroendocrine, can precipitate an episode of fever vulnerable brain.
- Endocrine disorder
- Increased carbon dioxide into the blood.
Signs and symptoms of delirium
- Confused thinking
- The problem in paying and sustaining the attention
- Illusion(misinterpretation in the presence of stimuli)
- Hallucination(misconception in the presence of stimuli)
- Hyperactivity: restless, irritability, anger, wondering, laughing
- Hypo activity: lack of emotions, tiredness
- Aimless activity
- Loss of sleep
- Impairment in recent, remote, and immediate memory.
Diagnostic evolution of delirium
Treatment of delirium
Delirium tremens is a medical emergency that requires hospitalization. Treatment is focused first on saving the individual’s life, preventing complications, and minimizing the symptoms.
For better treatment must read: Which Of The Following Is A Benefit of Group Therapy?
liquid and nutrition status should be maintained properly to keep the body hydrated and healthy.
For the patient suspected of having alcohol withdrawal, therapy should include multivitamins, especially thiamine.
Here are a few hand-picked guides for you to read next:
- Behavioral Therapy For Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Pervasive Developmental Disorders And Autism: What is it?
Like this guide? Don’t forget to share it!
Sharing is caring ❤