What Is Vitamin K?
Vitamin K is also necessary to keep our bones healthy. It helps in many functions of the body.
There are two main types of vitamin K. Vitamin K1 is found in plants, such as green vegetables such as spinach and bananas. Vitamin K2 is naturally made in the intestinal tract and acts similar to K1.
Vitamin K Dependent Factors
Gamma carboxylation reveals another negative charge to promote the effective binding of these factors to calcium ions.
Y-carboxylation by chelating calcium ions, therefore, permits the binding of the blood-clotting protein to membranes.
Vitamin K-dependent coagulation factor VII, IX, and X and proteins C and S. deficiency of the vitamin K-dependent factors result from missense mutations in the genes for vitamin K VKORC-1 or gamma-glutamyl carboxylase.
I had earlier shared Is Spinach Good For You?. I hope you read the post.
Table of Contents
We always recommend the brand you can trust. Bellow recommended vitamin k supplement is again from the trusted brand. We think you’ll feel the difference.
Helps build strong bones & Promotes a healthy heart
Vitamin K1 & two forms of Vitamin K2
Vitamin K1 and K2
To get started, you’ll need to What Vitamins And Minerals Are Good For the Brain?
Vitamin K begins proteins that play a role in blood clotting, calcium metabolism, and cardiovascular health.
Its essential function is the deposition of calcium. In other words, it promotes calcification of bones and inhibits calcification of blood vessels and kidneys.
Scientists have advice that vitamins K1 and K2 are different, and many feel they are categorized as entirely other nutrients.
An animal study reports that vitamin K2 reduces blood vessel calcification, whereas vitamin K1 did not.
Controllers studies in people also believe that vitamin K2 supplements usually improve bone and heart health, while vitamin K1 is of no importance.
Vitamin K deficiency signs and symptoms
The primary symptom deficiency is excessive bleeding.
- Skin discoloration.
- Excess blood flow when a minor injury occurs.
- Small blood clots under the nails
- Sudden bleeding from the nose.
- Bleeding in the stool or thick black colors chair.
- Irregular bleeding during menstruation.
In infants, symptoms of deficiency
- The umbilical cord is removing, and there is bleeding
- Bleeding occurs in the skin, nose, gastrointestinal tract, or other areas.
- If the child expands, there is bleeding from the penis.
- Sudden bleeding in the brain, which is extremely dangerous, is severe.
You must read this article: What Does Omega 3 Do? Is Omega-Three Good For You?
Vitamin K deficiency causes
Vitamin K deficiency is uncommon in adults if some people increases the risk of:
- Take coumarin anticoagulants such as warfarin, which throws up blood.
- Excessive use of Antibiotic
- There is a condition due to which the body is not able to absorb fat properly.
- A diet that is severely deficient in vitamin K.
- Coumarin anticoagulants defend in the production of proteins involves in blood clotting.
- Lack of fat can cause vitamin K deficiency:
- Some diseases such as – Liver problems, intestinal inflammation, and patients with cystic fibrosis (a genetic disorder associates with the lungs and digestive system) are at risk of vitamin K deficiency.
- Newborns are deficient in vitamin K for several reasons.
- Low breast milk
- Not moving well from the mother’s placenta to her baby,
- The liver of the infant doesn’t use the vitamin efficiently
I recommend you to read following posts that will help you definitely What Vitamins And Minerals Are Good For the Brain?.
Benefits of vitamin K
- It maintains blood flow in the body. It prevents blood clotting or clotting in the body by activating GLA protein, minerals, and calcium in the blood coagulation process.
- Prevents hardening of the walls of the arteries.
- Proves to help eliminate the risk of a heart attack.
- It can overcome the risk factors connects to cancer.
- Strengthens bones and removes problems like osteoporosis.
- Proves to help increase the activation of insulin. Gives relief to the diabetes problem.
To learn more, you can read: What Does Vitamin B Complex Do?
Food sources vitamin K
Can cure many foods of vitamin K deficiency by including them in a regular diet. can cure many foods
Foods low in vitamin K
Sweet corn., Onions, Squash., Eggplant., Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Sweet Potato, and Cucumbers (raw)
Foods high in Vitamin K
Kale, Mustard Greens Collard Greens Spinach, Broccoli, Natto, Cabbage, Parsley, red capsicum, green peas, kiwi, blueberries, grapes, strawberries, sprouts, soybeans, yogurt, Hard cheese, Avocado, Butter, Cream, green tea, olive oil, etc.
Swiss Chard, Chicken, Duck Breast, Brussels Sprouts, Pork Chops, and Eggs.
To learn more, you can Fats or Lipids: Healthy Fat And Unhealthy Fat
Foods high in Vitamin K2
Can prevent coagulation defect due to hypoprothrombinemia in the newborn by administering vitamin K- 1mg in the intramuscular route.
Prophylactic use of vitamin- K to give every infant immediately after birth remains controversial.
Excessive vitamin K’s administration may cause hemolytic anemia, hyperbilirubinemia, especially in preterm & G6PD deficient infants.
An elder infant, early weaning & intake of food containing vitamin- K can prevent this problem.
I also wrote an article on How Can I Boost My Immune System? also you can read.
Vitamin K dosage
Vitamin K1 = 10 mg daily & Vitamin K2 = 45 mg daily must be used safely.
Most people do not experience any side effects when taking the suggesting amount of vitamin K every day, But some may have stomach upset and diarrhea.
Does vitamin k thin blood?
Vitamin K plays a role in blood clotting, which is known as blood clotting. Because of that, it prevents excessive bleeding inside and outside the body.
The body needs the nutrients it needs to carry out basic tasks. The body cannot produce potassium on its own and can only make a volume of vitamins. As a result, it is essential to consume these nutrients through food.
Both vitamin K and potassium are essential, but they are not the same type of compound.
Vitamin k is needed in the body?
Helps in making proteins necessary for blood clots and bone building. Prothrombin is a vitamin K-dependent protein directly involved with blood clotting.
I recommend you to read following posts that will help Vitamin A: How Much Vitamin A Is Too Much?.
Vitamin K treatment
If someone wants to develop Vitamin K deficiency, a healthcare provider gives them a Vitamin K medicine called phytonadione.
Vitamin K supplement is readily available in the market. These pills are mix with some other ingredients like calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D. It is present in all multivitamins.
In the PT blood test, if it is shown that the blood flows for a long time, then vitamin K is given in an injection. If the bleeding stops and the protein present in the blood plasma start to accumulate, then it is found that the need for vitamin K is the reason for the bleeding.
After starting its treatment, its effect is seen in two or five days. I also wrote a tutorial on What Is Folic Acid Used For?: What We Need To Know that you can follow.
Frequently Asked Question
Which vegetables are high in vitamin K?
Green leafy vegetables high in vitamin K such as kale, collard greens, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, and lettuce contain more of the vitamin.
Do eggs contain vitamin K?
Protein-rich foods are also rich in vitamin K. A single egg yolk contains 67 to 192 mcg of vitamin K2.
What are the causes of vitamin K deficiency?
A very low-fat diet can lead to vitamin K deficiency in the body. Vitamin K is best absorbed when a low-fat diet is consumed. Disorders that impair fat absorption and thus reduce vitamin K absorption.
Which fruit is high in vitamin K?
Fruits like avocados, blueberries, grapes, apples are high in vitamin K.
If essential in adults, vitamin K deficiency can result in excessive bleeding and become dangerous. However, in all cases, vitamin K deficiency is treatable with the help of a doctor.
Also, if you think we have missed important information in this post, then remind us in the comments below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Sharing is caring ❤